25 January 2008

In Like a Lion

I don't know if the old adage about March applies here, but 2008 has come in like Calypso seeking revenge on Davy Jones in Pirates of the Caribbean III.

Not that there haven't been some uplifting moments three weeks into the New Year, but there have been seemingly more grievous ones. First, we lost Doris. Secondly, Cameron has been pulled off work to overcome Pneumonia, a staph infection (no doubt picked up in one of his layover hotels), and I learned this morning as a result of his complete physical that the second blood analysis reaveals that he's diabetic. He left for Methodist Germantown this morning for a stress test.

Day before yesterday I was eating a cheeseburger from Burger King. This was not a Whopper. It was one of the small pucks with mustard, ketchup and pickle. (I know. It's bad, but I've been in a rut for the last couple of weeks not having enough time to do much of anything for lunch, let alone go shopping to stock my office fridge.) While eating this burger, one of my lower right teeth encountered a bone. It broke off the side of my tooth. So, I get to go to the dentist for three hours of installing a temporary crown. To be fair, I believe this tooth had a hairline crack in it for the last three years. Yet, when I've talked to my dentist about it at each of my 6-month cleanings and annual X-rays, they've been able to find nothing. You see, three years ago Cameron and I went to the St. Jude fundraiser called Red Carpet Bash at Hollywood Casino. While there I enjoyed a real Caesar salad, with anchovies and peppercorns. One of those glorious black orbs is the culprit. I apparently bit into it at precisely where my porcelain filling and tooth bonded together. Oh well.

On with the positive. Remember my last post that chronicles my anticipation for a visit from my younger brother, two sisters and neice? My brother couldn't make it Sunday because he had an 8 A.M. job interview the following morning that he'd already rescheduled once. Lisa, and her friend Gina arrived around 3:00 P.M. with Lisa's Boxer Lucy in tow. Tina, Kayla, Daisy and Georgia wouldn't make it until around 9:30 P.M.

Cameron and I took Lisa and Gina to bowling with us around 5:00 P.M. We returned home around 8:45, Tina arrived about an hour later. What I learned once they were in the house and getting settled was that this gathering wasn't completely for them to meet here so Lisa could acquire a second Boxer for her family.

They decided that they would meet here to bring us a second Boxer who might try to ease Billie's loneliness over the loss of Doris, but that Lisa would be here in case we weren't ready for a new baby. If we didn't keep her, Lisa would take her home to the Gulf Coast.

After some discussion, Lisa, Gina and Lucy headed south around 12:30 P.M. on Monday without Georgia. Lisa reminded me that if things didn't go well she would still take Georgia. But, I think things are going to be just fine. We have an appointment with Dr. McCutcheon on February 1 for spaying Georgia. In the meantime, here are some photos from the visit, but unfortunately, I got the camera out too late to include Lucy in the shots. I'll pull one from my archives to make things fair.

From front to back, Georgia, Billie and Daisy.

Georgia and her grinning-squeaky-wiener-dog toy.

Daisy Growling at the Camera.

Lucy multitasking in South Dakota, August 2005

1 comment:

ZenDenizen said...

I didn't realize Caesar salads were supposed to have peppercorns. Sorry to hear you're in a bit of a spell...