Sarah Palin scares the shit out of me. I have been bombarded with e-mails from all of the political action groups to which I belong for days since "some old white man" as Paris Hilton called him, announced her as his pick for Vice Presidential candidate. She's supported legislation for aerial killing of wolves and bears according to one source. I'm looking for more information about her and her record.
Following a link at MoveOn, I found this:
"Who is Sarah Palin? Here's some basic background:
- She was elected
's governor a little over a year and a half ago. Her previous office was mayor of Wasilla, a small town outside Anchorage. Alaska
- Palin is strongly anti-choice, opposing abortion even in the case of rape or incest.
- She supported right-wing extremist Pat Buchanan for president in 2000.
- Palin thinks creationism should be taught in public schools.
- She's doesn't think humans are the cause of climate change.
- She's solidly in line with John McCain's "Big Oil first" energy policy. She's pushed hard for more oil drilling and says renewables won't be ready for years. She also sued the Bush administration for listing polar bears as a threatened species-she was worried it would interfere with more oil drilling in Alaska.
This is information the American people need to see. Please take a moment to forward this email to your friends and family."
How freaking out of touch can one be? Making a rape victim carry her assailant's spawn full-term? Are you kidding me? Pat Buchanan? Blurring the lines between Church and State? The last thing this country needs is another self-righteous nut job in the Executive Branch.
"Sarah Palin presents herself as speaking for mainstream Americans, but her stances — against reproductive choice, against equality for gays, against freedom of speech — are extreme."
And here's the petition letter they are asking us to sign:
"During her speech in St. Paul on Wednesday night, Alaska Governor Sarah Palin purported to speak for women, small town residents, and everyone who isn’t a member of the “Washington elite.
"Sarah Palin is an intelligent, well spoken woman, but it must be made clear:
"We don’t want a country in which women who are raped are refused the right to choose abortion.
"We don’t want a country in which religious dogma is taught in public school science class.
"We don’t want a country where gay and lesbian citizens are discriminated against.
"We don’t want a country where books are banned from public libraries.
"America is strongest when we are united, not divided. When our Constitutional liberties are respected. When our politicians rely on ideas and opinions instead of distortions and attacks. The challenges we face are too big to be reduced to name-calling.
"Sarah Palin doesn’t speak for us. "
If you agree with my mother and me, please go here and sign it.